Friday, May 2, 2014

Learning to Fly

Me with my Supervisor's baby at her baptism
Click here to donate to ministries WGM MK-Tita Dunbar.
Wow! It is hard to believe that two months of your life can disappear so quickly when you are finishing your last practicum and saying goodbye to friends and lifelines that you have met along the way. In the months of March and April, I continued to work with Compassion International with the Child Survival Program. I learned so much under my supervisor, including how to perfect my home-visits, becoming more efficient with time and information. For fun and for an income-generating activity, I was able to teach the mothers how to make American pancakes. I learned how to teach more group lessons and was able to give one on how to grow a child's communication and cognitive abilities through telling stories.(Unfortunately, due to confidentiality, I am not allowed to share many of these pictures.) Then on April 14th, I had to say my last goodbye to the Compassion site in Lugazi. My heart will stay with them as they taught me, mentored me, and prayed for me! They taught me once again how God's family can be found all around the world.
Me with some of our roommates at UCU
The next two days held more goodbyes as the night of April 15th held the farewell event. As I walked up to the microphone to give a speech, I was shocked that the event held so many people we had known during our time in Uganda. Though the crowd was a little bit scary for giving the speech, it was a blessing to have our host-families, teachers, supervisors, site-personnel, and all of our honors college housemates from the university. Along with our departure, we celebrated the 10th year anniversary of USP (Uganda Studies Program) along with two staff members moving into different positions. We were blessed to have come when we did and to be able to meet the staff that we did! This joy of a family reunion came to an end as we all left very early on the morning of the 17th
  
Our mourning turned to joy and a flurry of activity as I was able to accompany Betty to her home in Kenya. I was blessed to meet her family and again was reminded of the family of Christ. I was struck by the sense of community in her village as "family" was a fluid word that included many extended cousins ​​and others who showed up at meal times and events. Everyone was included in the celebrations, and Betty and I were even able to cook for them! J
Betty's Family
My cousin and I exiting IWU for the end time. 
After a few days there, we flew home to Indiana for our graduation. That was a weekend that flew by! But praise be to God that I was able to graduate with honors surrounded by my fellow social work majors, friends, and family that came from all over the United States and abroad to attend.
     Now for the answer to the famous question that many have asked. I have learned a little more about the position that I will be filling in World Gospel Mission. May and June will be filled with raising support and prepping for the activities in July and August. In July, Mike Banks and I will start tag teaming orientation and MK camp. Initially, much of my position will involve reorganizing the kids' room at World Gospel Mission Headquarters and helping to write and organize a curriculum to prepare missionary kids who are about to leave for the mission field for the first time and to provide follow up care for reentry or renewal processes. I am excited to learn under Mike and the whole pastoral team!
      Thank you for your prayers and support! Please continue to pray for me as I am raising support as soon as I return to the United States from Honduras. I am still lacking around $6,500, but God has continued to bring me promises and reminders to trust in His Name. Take a look at Luke 12! He is teaching me to fly on His wings and in His time.  Though I do not know exactly how all of the pieces will come together, I am excited to see how He will work! He is the great Artist! 
Update 05/05/14: Sorry about the grammatical mistakes and nonsense that appeared previously in this post. Apparently, my default was set to Spanish, and it automatically translated multiple times, which caused some unique sentences. I think the problem is solved.

No comments:

Post a Comment